Monday, September 25, 2017

The Gift of Time

I may have used this title before, as this is an important topic in my life. My youngest son called me this morning to ask if I have "anything planned for my special day." I really don't. Because it's on Wednesday, my longest work day, I hadn't made any plans. Also, I didn't get paid (as I may have mentioned) and I'm doing my best to survive on a cash-only basis. I didn't tell my son all of that, only that I would be around other than for work time. He is taking off a half-day tomorrow (Tuesday) and driving up to visit, leaving Wednesday night. This makes me extremely happy. I may see my middle son that day too; he has been on a tour with his band and, while I know he's got something up his sleeve, I'm not sure which day it will be. Because my middle son lives in Jacksonville, he and his girlfriend are always the ones who do something special for me. I always appreciate it!

My students in the 7:30 a.m. class asked me what I want for my birthday. I said, "World peace." They said they couldn't get me that. The only reason they know that Wednesday is my birthday is that one of them mentioned last week that she had wanted to bring in donuts for everyone, but the drive-thru line was too long. I jokingly said, "My birthday is next Wednesday. Bring some then!" Sometimes they seem not to know I'm kidding, so I reinforced that today. I truly don't want my students to give me birthday gifts. That's weird and could be seen as an attempt to influence their grades, no matter how sweet and sincere the gesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment